The Psaros 40 is a swing keel water ballasted lake racer
Owners comments: professionnaly maintained race boat, equipped with water ballast, canting keel, trapeze and lots of sails, partly new (2019).
The Psaros 40 is one of the fastest boats of its lenght, in any wind condition.
She finished just second in this year's Bol d'Or and first Psaros 40. She was on land whole 2020.
Hull number: CH-PSAP4003F302
- The canting keel swings through 40 degrees and to prevent leeway they have Open 60-style asymmetric daggerboards that are toed out. In fact these boards are borrowed from the moulds of the Schmidt and Jo Richards-designed 42ft Alinghi catamaran.
- The mast is fixed with slightly swept back spreaders, but unusually with two sets of runners each side.
- the top mast backstay and runners are grouped like the America’s Cup boats
- The retracting bowsprit arrangement is also unique and has two positions. For use with the large genoa it is extended to its first position tensioning a bobstay that handles the downward loads. For the big kites, an pole extends out further from within the bowsprit. In the first position the bowsprit is 1.5m long, in position two a wopping 3.5m.
- While the top speed of the boat is a lively 20-23 knots, as ever it is the low wind performance of the boats that impresses. Upwind in 6 knots of true wind for example the Psaros 40 will manage six knot.